Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Access 2010 Database - Mastering Farmville - How to Data Mine off the Web

I created this database for a class final project. In my introduction of the main paper (since there are many documents that are supporting the database):

Purpose:

I would love to have my own database that I could query in various ways to answer various questions I may have regarding Farmville Crop Mastery. The goal is to earn as many mastery signs as quickly as possible. I chose this goal since I love showing off the pretty Mastery Signs on my farm.
My plan is to learn how to data-mine off the internet so I can have a new skill I can use to sell to potential clients and earn extra money to pay bills and also to obtain the experience for my resume. To achieve this I will use various programs: Word 2010, Excel 2010, Access 2010, PhotoFiltre Studio 9.0, and possibly Notepad.exe.

"This is a screenshot of what the data I want to mine looks like:" (Click to enlarge)
I will not go into specifics (unless you ask in a post below) but by using a few different programs: notepad, Word, Excel, and Access I was able to migrate the data into an Access Database WITHOUT having to retype all of the data. This also can be done using XML, when available. I also can save the data in Excel as an XML document.

How data mining works: "Data mining is a component of a wider process called “knowledge discovery from database”2.  It involves scientists and statisticians, as well as those working in other fields such as machine learning, artificial intelligence, information retrieval and pattern recognition. "


The benefits of data mining are as follows:
  1. You can obtain leads for your sales reps.
  2. You save money since you do not need to pay anyone to enter the data.
  3. You can perform various analyses of the data.
There are drawbacks: (same source cited above)
  1. Privacy issues.
  2. Security issues.
  3. Misuse of information/inaccurate information.


2 comments:

  1. Hello, Unlike you I have manually been entering the data in myself (time consuming) I had most of the seeds and trees in word 2007 got a virus so I lost all of the info. :(
    So now I am entering it in Google Drive so I will NEVER lost my entered info again. Can you tell me how you entered it with out typing it all in?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I entered mine manually. There are programs that will do this for you from a website but I have never used them and cannot make a recommendation. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete